Omega Psi Phi is the first Black Fraternity founded on the campus of an HBCU. Every year we hold a Talent Hunt competition that highlights the talents of high school aged students. The Talent Hunt program of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. is one of several national programs designed to identify and support the youth of our nation and the world. It will be held in February of 2022 with more defined dates forthcoming. If you know of any high school aged students who are particularly gifted in the performance arts please contact me and I will help get them setup to compete. This is an excellent opportunity to earn money for college and get exposure for the many talents that the members of our student community possess. The host chapter for our local event is the Gamma Gamma Gamma graduate chapter of Madison. Participation in the Talent Hunt is open for the following form of trained art:
1. Music: Vocal and instrumental; classical, semi-classical (i.e. Broadway Musical production, Movie score), gospel and jazz. A printed copy of the music (score) is required for the judges to analyze. No top 40 unless it meets the criteria listed for semi classical. No hip hop or rap.
2. Interpretive Movement to Music: ballet, modern dance tap.
3. Speech: Poetry, oration, monologue, etc. (Printed script should be provided for each judge to analyze)
4. Visual Art: Sculpture, photography, drawing and painting. (3 to 5 pieces for judging)
Basic Rules for Participation in the District and International Talent Hunt:
1. Contestant must be a high school student who has not advanced beyond a senior at time of the Local Talent Hunt competition.
2. Contestants who are “Home Schooled” must present verification from their school district that they are enrolled as a high school student.
3. All presentations including instrumental numbers must be memorized and must be dignified and in good taste. Presentations which are not memorized cannot be considered for 1st place.
4. Track music may be used for accompaniment if there is no lead instrumental or background vocals included on the track.
5. The Talent Hunt is a competition on the Chapter, State, and District levels.
6. At the international level, the Talent Hunt is a demonstration only! There is no adjudication at this level.
7. The presentation performed or presented at the Chapter level shall be the same as performed at the State, District, and International level.
8. The Chapter is responsible for all expenses incurred in taking its contestant to the State and District Talent Hunt.
9. Where there is a state competition, the State is responsible for all expenses incurred in taking its contestant to the State Talent Hunt.
10. The District is responsible for expenses incurred in taking the District Winner to the International Talent Hunt Demonstration during the Grand Conclave and the International Leadership Conference.