top of page
Lifting as we Climb
-Mary Church Terrell
'The Science Hall Where It Began'
The former Science Hall, now known as Thirkield Hall, houses the Department of Physics and Astronomy. It is the place where on November 17, 1911, three Howard University undergraduate students gave birth to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.
In 1907, Howard's President Wilbur P. Thirkield, who recognized the growing importance of science in education, was able to convince the Federal Government to appropriate $90,000 for a new science hall, and the building was dedicated in 1910.
LONG LIVE OMEGA PSI PHI FRATERNITY, INC.!!!!
bottom of page